Thứ Hai, 30 tháng 1, 2017

Waching daily Jan 31 2017

Welcome to Speak English with Tiffani.

I am Teacher Tiffani and today I am going to teach you How to express yourself in English

when you are scared.

This lesson will improve your ability to speak clearly and logically in English.

Are you ready?

Well then, let's jump right in.

The first way to express being scared, is with the English expression - "Send shivers

down my spine" This English expression means to feel very

scared or excited.

An example of how to use this expression is, "The sound of his voice sent shivers down

my spine."

The second way to express being scared, is with the English idiom - "Scared to death"

This idiom means to make you feel extremely scared.

An example of how to use this idiom is, "They scared me to death when they jumped in front

of me."

The third way to express being scared, is with the Vocabulary word - "Frightened"

This vocabulary word means to be afraid, scared, or terrified.

An example of how to use this vocabulary word is, "They scared me to death when they jumped

in front of me."

Ok, now that we have 3 different ways of expressing being scared, let's apply all three of them

to one response "Horror movies usually don't frighten

me, so I decided to watch one with my friend yesterday.

But, that was a mistake.

The movie sent shivers down my spine as I was watching it.

My friend said it scared him to death too."

Alright amazing!

Today you learned "How to express yourself in English when you are scared".

You learned…

One new English expression, "Send shivers down my spine"

One new English Idiom, "Scared to death" And one new Vocabulary word, "Frightened"

So, instead of just saying you feel scared, you will now be able to express yourself like

a native speaker and use multiple natural expressions.

NOW try to use at least one new expression, idiom, or vocabulary word today.

You can do it!

You can speak English!

For more infomation >> How to express yourself in English when you are scared - Duration: 3:39.

-------------------------------------------

Why Study Physics? - Duration: 40:13.

Hi and thank you for joining us today

for this live streaming event in YouTube.

Now my name is Sylvia Choi

and I'm a science educator at CAASTRO

which is the Centre of Excellence for All-sky Astrophysics.

Here today we have Dr Vanessa Moss

talking to us about why study physics.

Now remember if you have any questions or comments

during the talk,

please either send them to us by email or Tweet to us, live,

and we'll actually put them live on screen

during the presentation

and the Twitter handle is #citc16.

Now I'll join with you again, at the end, with some Q&A

but for now I'll leave you with Dr Vanessa Moss.

OK, hi everyone my name is Vanessa

and today I'm going to give you an idea

of why I think you should study physics

and also frame it in terms of what I call exploring the Universe.

Firstly, who am I?

I'm Vanessa, I'm an astrophysicist

so let's talk a little bit about what that means.

Astrophysics is a little different to astronomy

because we have the word physics in it.

So if we ask Google, which is a good thing to generally do,

then you see that it emphasises the physics of bodies

not just looking at them

but what is really going on

far away in galaxies, in other planetary systems, in stars.

So that's what astrophysics is

that's what separates it from astronomy.

When I was a kid, I thought that astronomy and astrophysics

was probably similar to some of the ideas that you have.

So I dreamt of standing on one of the moons of Saturn

and looking up at it filling the sky.

I still think that would be a really cool thing to do

or something like this other image here.

I had a little meteorite

that my parents bought me when I was at a science museum.

I read books about science, about stars

and how they worked.

I learnt about what stars were really made of

from Pumbaa in The Lion King

and I also had my own telescope

which I was pretty proud

to show my parents and my friends

Jupiter or Saturn through the telescope.

So this is what I thought when I was a kid

but as I was growing up I actually...

for a long time I wanted to be a writer

so I didn't start off thinking, from the time I was five,

that I would be an astronomer

it's something that evolved over the course of my studies.

So what does an astrophysicist study?

What you see now

are some of the different physical objects

that I've studied in astronomy over time.

Ranging from in the top left...

I guess, from your perspective...

the top left is the Milky Way

so our home galaxy

and I studied that for my PhD.

I've also studied supernova remnants,

high-velocity clouds in our halo,

and also a super shell that looks like an icecream cone

if you flip it upside down

so you can see that now.

Recently what I'm studying is hydrogen in adsorption

towards some of the very distant galaxies

that we can see with our telescopes

and so that's very exciting as well

and quite different to what I've studied in the past

and there's a lot of different things

you can study as an astrophysicist.

So what do we do in our everyday jobs, you're probably wondering.

As I'm an observational astronomer

that means a big part of my job is using telescopes

and this is super exciting for me

because I love data

and I love seeing what the data can tell you

and being the first person to really see

what the telescope has collected

from galaxies or planets or stars.

So that's a big part of our job

if you're an observational astronomy

you get to use telescopes.

These are some of the telescopes that you could potentially use

and some of them I've used, either directly,

or I've used the data from them.

There's a mix of different kinds of telescopes

which we'll come back to with the electromagnetic spectrum

but what you can see there's optical telescopes,

infrared telescopes, x-ray telescopes

and for me, because I'm a radio astronomer,

there's also radio telescopes.

Some of the other things you can do

you can also visit telescopes in person,

I've been very lucky to do that.

Obviously, if your telescope of choices is Hubble

that's a lot more difficult

but if there is a chance, it's a very good experience

to learn exactly how the telescope works,

how the engineers keep it functioning from day to day,

so that's been a really valuable experience

as part of being an astronomer.

We also write papers so that's the main way

we can communicate, what we do, with other astronomers.

We want to be able to say

this is what I studied, these are my results

and also find out what their results are too.

Writing papers is a huge part of communicating what you've found.

We chat to others...

people might not think there's a huge social aspect of it

but actually, every day we're talking to our colleagues,

we're emailing people overseas that we're working with,

we go to conferences,

we're constantly trying to keep up to date

with what other people are working on

and how that relates to what we're doing.

So chatting to others is also a big part of our job.

We present our results

so this is in a more formal way

so at a big conference you might have a talk spot

in which case you'll have about 20 minutes,

which is what I have today,

to communicate the point.

What is your research?

What's the big question?

What are the results you want people to take away from it?

This is a photo of me at...

I think it was the ASA

which is a big astronomy conference in Australia

that takes place every year.

So being able to put your results together

in a nice presentation and communicate clearly

is an important part of our job.

We also have to read papers.

So as well as producing papers

it's important to see what other people are writing

and that's really hard

because there are thousands of papers in astronomy

coming out every year

and so what you can see on the slide here

is a tool that I wrote, with a couple of other people, to

kind of make it easier to see what the results of a paper are

so it's called Archiver, you can check it out,

but what it does is it really highlights the pictures of the papers

so what are the results?

How are they related to the topic of the paper?

One of the really fun things for me

and it was something I learnt over the course of my undergrad

is that we develop code.

So we use Python...well I use Python

but everyone uses different kinds of languages

and we use that code and computers

to really make our lives easier

to make things faster, to calculate and visualise data

and understand what it's telling us.

The code that you can see at the moment

is a Python code and what it produces is this image here.

This is a picture of one of our nearest radio galaxies

it's called Centaurus A.

The background with all the pretty stars is optical

and the white contours that you can see over the top

those are the radio jets that are, kinda like,

coming out from the supermassive black hole

and pushing their way out of the galaxy.

So being able to see that in the data,

using coding is a really important thing.

But what you might not also know

is that you can use code for things that are a little bit different.

What you see now is something

that I've been spending a little bit of my spare time working on

making Zootopia licenses and train tickets

and police badges for people that want them...

so for fans

and so this is an unusual case of using code...

let me just see...as of today, as of right now

the code has produced 2399 licenses,

651 train tickets and 243 police badges

for people all around the world

that most of who I had never known before this.

It even made it to the Russian Facebook page

which is what you see at the right side of the screen

and also to Zootopia director Byron Howard's Twitter feed.

As well as doing coding for astronomy purposes

you can also work it into your life

and do other cool things on the side.

Outreach, so that kind of ties in a little bit.

Outreach means...

we wanna communicate why we think science and astronomy are important

to as many people as possible

and everyone does this in a slightly different way.

We all choose our own ways to do it.

One of the things that I do is

I work sometimes as a guide at Sydney Observatory

which is really fun

and it gives you the hands-on experience of talking to people

who are enthusiastic about astronomy and science, right in the moment.

What does exploring the Universe mean because I've said that a couple of times?

For me, it means having fun with the world around you,

being curious,

being interested in what you can learn every day

no matter what it is.

It doesn't have to be a picture of a planet

it can be anything that you encounter.

For me, sometimes it's looking at fireworks with diffraction gratings

and trying to figure out what elements I'm seeing.

Or throwing chemicals into a fire...

my brother did that, so that's why it's blue

and seeing what comes out.

Or going to Mars for the first time

so this is actually an education centre in Victoria

not the real Mars...

you know that kind of thing, just being interested.

For me it's very much science, a lot of the time,

how can we look at the world through scientific eyes

and just basically have fun.

For you it will be different

so exploring the Universe is the more important thing

that I want you to take away from this.

What are the ingredients for being a good explorer of the Universe?

You need to be curious.

You need to be curious about the world around you.

You can't just be happy with everyday stuff

you need to want to learn more.

You should have a sense of adventure

because everything's more fun

if you have an adventure along the way.

Investigative skills, so this is not just taking things for granted,

figuring out what is the evidence that I see telling me?

What is it really...

how does it pieced together to solve the puzzle?

You should be good at keeping records

that's important, being organised

and keeping track of what you've done.

You need to be able to see the big picture as well

so not just the fine detail of what you might be studying on a given day

but also how does it relate to the bigger picture

of what people are doing in general.

You should be critical because you need to be able to

look at your work and say, does this make sense?

Constantly ask yourself, does this all fit together

in the way I expect, and have a desire to ask questions

which is arguably one of the most important things.

As long as you keep asking questions

then you'll never be satisfied with the status quo,

you wanna be able to look forward beyond that.

Things you'll probably need if you realistically

want to be a physicist or an astronomer

you probably need to finish high school.

The reason I say probably is because

this isn't true of everyone

it depends, it varies a little bit on your specific path

but the majority of cases you need to finish high school.

You'll need to do an undergraduate degree

that involves science

probably physics if you wanna be a physicist.

You do need to do math

and this is a question that comes up a lot...

math is hard and I really love the physics

but I don't love the math as much

and so it's a tool

you need to see it as something that helps you understand the world better

but you can do math at lots of different levels

you don't have to just follow a specific path in math.

Coding, like I said, coding is a really big part of what we do now

and also being familiar with the latest technologies.

This sounds silly, but like, the newest phones

the newest computers, being able to...

virtual reality is a big thing now.

Being able to get on top of those and be familiar with those

will help you in your role as an astronomer

to see how you can do things better

and you also have to be willing to fail

which probably sounds a bit weird, but

you have to understand that, to really get to the end...

to be successful, to figure out something new

that no one else has ever figured out before

you're gonna hit some road bumps along the way

so you need to be prepared for failing sometimes

which is hard, but it is part of what we do.

What path did I take?

I completed my HSC a long time ago, by your standards

I found this... [laughs]

These are the subjects I did, in case anyone's wondering.

This came from my mum's bathroom

where I'd stuck it up back in 2004

and apparently it was still there, so I brought it today,

so those are the subjects.

I did a range of things, I didn't just focus on one

I did all the things that I was interested in

and I had a lot of really great high school teachers too.

At university I still wasn't entirely sure what I wanted to do

so I did a Bachelor of Liberal Studies

which is kind of like arts and science

I majored in physics and Japanese

this included a semester overseas in Tokyo

where I practiced more Japanese and studied

then I transitioned into a PhD in physics which was also

as well as being here at the University of Sydney

it was in collaboration with CSIRO

and during that time I started working at Sydney Observatory as a guide, as well

so that's, kind of, my quick background.

These photos that you can see...

the big photo is the official conference photo

of one of the astronomy conferences I went to near the end of my PhD

and it was just so much fun

it was a lot of people getting together and thinking about

how we do astronomy not just what we do

so, can we do it better?

Can we do it with cool new technologies

especially web technologies?

In that photo the camera was falling off the table

which is why everyone looks so horrified.

The other smaller photo of the group of people

that was my dorm in Japan

so these were the people that I spent my five, six months with

and that was really fun

and also the bottom picture is my first scientific research poster

so I was pretty proud of that.

Let's come to an important question which I get asked a lot

why study physics but also framing it as why not study physics?

What are the reservations that you might have

that are stopping you from taking up physics at a higher level.

These are some of the common reasons, they're not all of them

but these are some of the reasons that you hear a lot...

you need to be really smart, only really geeky people do it

it's really boring

what uses is it...

I could go and be a doctor and save people's lives

or, you know, physics can't take you anywhere...

I'll just be stuck doing boring science in a lab.

The important thing about these physikophobia reasons

is that they're all wrong

and so I'm just gonna focus on the three bottom ones for time

and go into a little bit more detail about why they're wrong.

In high school the focus... and in university as well

the focus is on teaching you the basics.

Before you can construct a model of a black hole

or understand the details of nanoparticles

you need to understand the, kind of, very basic stuff.

How does a ball rolled down a hill?

How does a pulley pull a mass up?

Because with those basics, you can then expand them

so that's why the focus in high school and undergraduate physics

is the more simple things

it's not all the really exotic physics because

you need those fundamentals to be able to move on to the exotic stuff

and I agree with you, wedges and pulleys can be pretty boring

some people really liked them, but I found them boring.

You really have to see it as we're focussing on the fundamentals at the lower levels

so that you're best prepared to do the really cool stuff

once you're on top of all of that

and truthfully Year 11 and 12 physics have a lot of really cool topics

for example, light.

We're not just talking about visible light

which is what you see on this slide

but the whole electromagnetic spectrum.

As a radio astronomer, obviously radio waves are pretty important to me

but it's also important to know that every part of that spectrum

is telling you something different physically.

Radio light is produced in a different way to optical light

so if you can understand what physical processes are making these things

you have a better understanding of the Universe.

Cloud chambers... these are so cool, these are really fun...

by super cooling the air and having all that moisture in there

you can see particles, ionised particle,

that you wouldn't usually be able to see

and you can see their paths and really understand

that there's a subatomic world

way below what we're used to thinking about.

We're used to this macroscopic world

where we can pick up books and sit on chairs

but there's so much going on beyond the limits of what we can see and interact with

so that's really cool too.

Magnetic fields... so magnetic fields are always interesting...

in the context of astronomy

magnetic fields are becoming more and more a part of the things that we have to think about

because it's not just simple physics sometimes

when you have magnetic fields involved things get complicated

and we know that our Milky Way galaxy has a huge magnetic field

and so there's a lot of questions about

how that magnetic field influences

it's a large-scale thing

how does it influence things on our scale?

So a lot of people are studying that as well.

Of course, you know, very tied to astronomy is the Big Bang

so there's so many aspects of cosmology

how the Universe began and how we got to where we are today

and what happened along the way?

We have a lot of questions remaining

as much as we've been able to figure out so far

the most recent thing being gravitational waves

and also the fact that the Universe is expanding faster and faster

we're still trying to piece together a lot of the puzzle pieces

to really figure out how we got to where we are today.

What is dark matter and where did dark energy come from?

How do these things drive our Universe

and those are still really big questions for astronomers

not just anyone studying the Big Bang.

Another aspect of this is what use is physics?

What has it done for you?

How has it improved your life?

Realistically while... there's a step from physics research

into the technology that changes our lives

if we didn't have the physics research in the first place

we would live in a very different world.

So to give you an example of some of the things

that physics has contributed to...

so we have our planet

we wouldn't be in Space if it wasn't for physics

we wouldn't have the ISS,

we wouldn't have rockets,

we wouldn't be able to do all the really cool things

we've done in Space science

without understanding the physics behind it

and then I'm just gonna show you some of the different things

which you probably are aware of...

maybe some you don't know, for sure,

cameras, phones, fibre optics, MRIs, x-rays

rockets, I already said,

there's the Parkes Telescope, GPS

so when you use Google maps to figure out where you're going today

that relies on general relativity

so the time delays between satellites

because they're moving so fast around the Earth

create an effect that means that, if we didn't take that into account,

you wouldn't have the accuracy that we do.

TVs, CERN, Angry Birds... I don't know why I put that in there...

phone games I guess, you know, physics of birds

and the Hubble Deep Field

and the thing that all of these things have in common

is physics.

So it's a really fundamental part

of what we really like about our lives today.

I included this quote because...

Maria Mitchell was an astronomy who lived in the 1840s

and she said "The more that we see, the more we are capable of seeing"

and I think this really highlights

why physics research and physics is so important.

Until we understand more about the world,

this is from the quantum level up to the galaxy scale,

unless we understand that

we don't even know what's possible.

So we need to keep exploring that and keep figuring out what's going on

so that we can truly figure out

all the cool things that we can do in the future.

Alright, so the last thing is physics can't take you anywhere

not even to a job.

Firstly that's not true.

If you like travelling around the world

then becoming a physicist or an academic researcher

it's a really huge part of what we do

because we work with collaborators overseas

we go and visit them, we go to conferences

we travel and, kind of, advertise the work we're doing as well

so it is a necessary part of being an astronomer and being a researcher.

During my PhD... and the list that you see on the slide is in increasing distance...

so obviously Wentworth Falls isn't very far from Sydney...

but I also went to Melbourne, Perth, Narrabri,

Hamilton Island, New York, Boston and Green Bank as part of my PhD.

As part of my postdoc so far, I've been to the Netherlands,

to Germany, to the US and to Canada

to both work with people and take part in conferences

so if you really like travel then it's a great thing to do

because you get to travel a lot...

tiringly so, sometimes.

We can also look at what my friends did, right,

because I became an astronomer

but what else did people that I did undergraduate physics with become?

What you can see here is a photo from our second year of uni

and what you're gonna see in terms of their jobs

is very up to date

because I Facebooked everyone last night, at the last minute,

and was like...is this still true?

OK, let's have a look, so we have a developer at NICTA

which I think is possibly now Data61

developing cool software and hardware solutions...

an engineering lecturer here at the University of Sydney,

pharmacology postdoc,

a structural engineer,

an embedded analyst

so this is more of the, kind of, data science side of things,

we have a primary teacher,

a general service officer in the Army,

a high school math teacher,

a doctor,

a solicitor who's now overseas in England,

a clinical program associate

which is working with a medical company,

and me who's an astrophysics researcher.

As you can see, I don't think...

none of us have become the same thing

we've all done very different jobs and very different careers

and everyone's having a lot of fun doing the different things

that their physics background has led them to

and their science background as well.

Let's look a little bit more at what kind of things they do.

Mike pointed out, that as a high school math teacher,

you guys probably have a pretty good idea of what he does.

So instead I thought I'd just show you a couple of slides

from some of the things he does with his students.

The reason it's important is with math

we can take these tools that have developed

and try to solve real life problems.

So if a farmer has 18 metres of fencing

how does he build the best pen possible?

So you can frame that in terms of a math question

which is what Mike has done here

and come to a solution and figure out

what is the optimal thing?

How do we maximise the usage of the fencing we have available

and so that's one of the really powerful things of math

and his role is to take what he learned in physics and maths and science

and try to communicate that to the next generation of physicists and mathematicians

which I think is really cool.

Aaron is a solicitor, he told me his official job is senior associate

which apparently means he's old...

I don't know what that means [laughs]

but he works with scientists and engineers, so technical people,

about inventions or innovations that have come out

and tries to figure out should they be patentable or not

and he presents that to the court

so at the moment he is in the UK

working for the same firm he does in Australia

and doing similar things, so that sounds really cool,

and he obviously is using his physics background to make good choices about patents.

Lia is a clinical program associate

we tried to come up with what that is, in short terms,

but it seems to not have an analogy

but what it is, is she works as part of a company

their specific focus is ultrasound technology

and what they're trying to do is come up with ways of preventing infection.

She said one of the really cool things about her job

is that she gets to do lots of different things.

Sometimes she's a scientist using that technical background

to plan clinical studies,

sometimes she's a business person, a market researcher,

trying to figure out the best way for the company to invest in new technologies

and so she really enjoys that diversity that she gets to do

and also helping people.

Benjy is a lecturer, he's in engineering

and his particular focus is on landslides

obviously landslides are a natural disaster and they kill lots of people.

The thing that he said sets landslides apart

is that they're killing more people every year.

So a lot of natural disasters are decreasing in their impact

landslides are increasing

so it's important to understand why

and he also wanted to point out that he gets to go skiing for work

researching snow avalanches.

Phil is an engineer, he's a structural engineer

and he described his job as making sure that buildings don't fall down

which is pretty important.

He came up with this description

so, you know, people can't lift buildings

can you lift a building... really?

I don't think it's about commitment to the gym

[laughs] but that's what he likened it to...

but as part of his job

he gets to work with a lot of different kinds of buildings

and contribute to making them as cool

and as safe as possible.

Recently he's worked with the Sydney Opera House,

Parramatta Primary School

the new design for that

and this photo is him at Vivid

making sure it didn't blow away.

So, in conclusion...

for the bulk of my talk now we're gonna go into question time...

is that, I think if you like science

you should definitely consider taking Year 11 and 12 physics.

There's never gonna be a better time to go that path.

You can come back later but it's really hard

so if you have this inkling

that you want to be part of science

and you want to do physics

then now is a really good time to do it.

Math is going to be part of your life

but it doesn't have to be a bad part of your life.

Math is really cool too.

It can be hard... because sometimes the math you do

likening it to the real world is challenging, right?

We can do really pure mathematics that seems very distant from reality

but really it's just a tool for understanding the world around us

so if you see it that way

it's not that different to physics

and it's really important as well.

So a background in physics, you might not have known,

but it can lead you to a lot of different opportunities.

It's not just a scientist

you're not just in a lab, in a lab coat over a petri dish

there's a lot of different opportunities open to you

depending on your interest

and with that physics background

doors really open so you can go into a wide variety of things.

You can travel around the world

and do a lot of really fun stuff along the way.

So if you are interested in science

do physics

because I really liked that little sign thing...

but also what's really important is that

obviously not all of you are going to become scientists

that's realistic

but hopefully you have an appreciation of science

if you can do physics then you can have

that as part of your tools of looking at the world around you

looking at it critically and logically

but also just follow your passion

so follow your curiosity...

don't think that the decisions you make now define the rest of your life.

It wasn't until Year 12 that I thought

maybe I could be a physicist one day

but even then it wasn't set.

Just do what you're interested in

I think is the most important part

and that will be the best choices that you can make

and that's it, thank you.

...and telescopes, they're pretty cool...

good part of being an astronomer. [laughs]

[Sylvia] Thank you so much Vanessa.

There are a few questions have been asked on Twitter

there's been quite a lot actually

I'm trying to go through it all

and choose a few things.

You've answered a few of the questions as well

that they were streaming through

so I'm just going to choose some of the things

that may not have been covered in the talk.

This is... I think quite a lot of students

like students from Mary Mackillop College

and Maya Caniff and Sarah and Gabby have asked you

who and what actually encouraged you

or inspired you to become an astrophysicist?

[Vanessa] Yeah, that's a really good question

and thank you guys for asking that question.

Like I said, I wanted to be an author

I really liked writing I was going to write children's books.

When I was in Year 11 and 12 I had a really great physics teacher,

Mr Mahony, and he made the subject fun and interesting

so that played a huge role in deciding to do physics at the university level.

At that point I decided I was going to do

kind of a mixed arts and science

because I still enjoyed both of them

and then when I got to university

I met a couple of astronomers

who I still work with now

Tara Murphy and Anne Green

and they were so enthusiastic about astronomy

and so keen to share their knowledge with students and encourage us

that is really had a big influence on deciding to do physics at a higher level.

[Sylvia] That's really good, they're very inspirational people.

[Vanessa] They are.

[Sylvia] I think you, sort of, talked about this in your talk

but just going a little bit further

what are some of the benefits about studying science and astrophysics

like some of the benefits you can get from it?

[Vanessa] Some of the things I covered are...

the benefits I think are...

so one of the things we talk about a lot as astronomers

and educators in science is

we want the world but... Australia as well

to be as science literate as possible.

What that means is

being able to look at... it's problem solving

it's looking at a problem and saying this is the evidence I have

this is what it tells me

not coming in with a particular prejudice or a bias

but actually basing your interpretation on what the evidence is.

So I think that's a huge part

because that's not just applicable to science

it's applicable to your daily life.

When you look at the world around you

when you choose to buy that dress over that dress

because of the different savings

or if you go to the grocery store

and you're trying to figure out is it a good deal or not?

It's always just looking at the world from an interpretive perspective

and just applying that science.

So I think that's probably the biggest thing that comes out of it

and it's not specifically science

but also, like I said, it does open opportunities

you don't have to be a scientist by studying physics or science

but it does give you those skills and the tools

you need to be successful in whatever you do.

[Sylvia off screen] OK. Awesome. So it does give you a lot of tools

but also it gives you skills, right

and critical thinking skills.

[Vanessa] Yeah.

[Sylvia] Now there are a few ones,

actually several ones mentioning astrology

and how is astrology linked to physics?

There are a few of them actually out there

so I thought you might want to just give a bit of clarification perhaps.

[both laughing]

[Vanessa] OK, sometimes I say I'm an astronomer

and they're like, oh my gosh, I'm a Scorpio

what does that mean?

It means very little.

[laughs]

Astrology is a pseudoscience

if you don't know that word,

that's a good research topic for you.

Astronomy is a scientific study

where you try to understand specifically the cosmos

in a scientific way,

astrophysics is with that framework of physics.

Astrology likens the movement of stars and planets to our daily lives

which is a nice thought.

It'd be cool if we could know all the answers to our lives

based on where Jupiter is in relation to Mars

but realistically, I think, going back to that evidence thing

you need to be able to look at it and say

what is the likelihood of me being born in the month of October

what does that have to do with who I become

and I think it's important to see the difference between those things.

They're kind of fun... people want to know the answers to the unknown

but they're not science.

[Sylvia] No. OK. I'm glad you clarified that.

It's quite often... there is actually quite a misconception

that astronomy and astrology is related but...

[Vanessa offscreen] Not related.

[Sylvia] there really isn't.

This is a really nice question by Millee...

what's the most interesting thing that you've ever learnt, as an astrophysicist?

[Vanessa offscreen] Whoa! That's hard.

[laughing]

[Sylvia] We can get back to that if you like.

[Vanessa] No, let me think...

the most interesting thing I've ever learnt...

oh...OK let's come back to that, I'll have to think about that

[Syliva off screen] There's a question from Ruby Tilley

is there another Earth and do you believe in extraterrestrial life?

[Vanessa] That's a good question too.

Is there another Earth...

I mean, if you're saying is there a parallel Earth

then the answer to that, I'd say, is no.

If we're saying instead, are there planets out there that are like Earth

that are habitable, that possibly have life of some form

then I would say yes.

More and more from the studies

that we're seeing from telescopes and satellites like Kepler

that are looking for planets around other stars

is that planets around stars are super common

and even Earth-sized and Earth-like planets

are becoming increasingly common

and so I don't know much about it, but recently,

like today maybe, they released a press release

saying that they'd found some more Earth-like planets around a star

and if you take into account

how many stars there are in our galaxy alone

and the conditions that produce life

they're not that constraining

then I think it's likely that there's life out there.

There's a lot of problems with...

for example, the light distance between us and other stars

we're not going to call up the aliens and talk to them

and also life develops in different ways.

If life was on a planet on the other side of our galaxy

would it look anything like us?

Would it broadcast in radio waves?

Would it communicate in the ways we think it would?

So there's projects at the moment like Breakthrough Listen and Breakthrough Starshot

which are really trying to get at this question.

Breakthrough Listen involves some Australian telescopes

and what they're going to do is do a systematic search

supported by Yuri Milner and other people

to try and figure out can we find life near to us, in our galaxy?

If you think about how many galaxies there are

it'd be crazy for us to be the only ones.

[Sylvia] Yeah, the Universe is actually really huge so

it really makes sense though, it does,

if you think about it in terms of just numbers.

[Sylvia] I think you've mentioned this before but, just again,

if you weren't an astrophysicist, yeah,

then what other career path would you have been doing?

Just out of curiosity.

[Vanessa] That's a good question.

If we're being honest, I still don't know what I want to be

because it's still kind of a work in progress.

I mean a writer would have been fun.

[Sylvia] Because you said about a picture book?

[Vanessa] Children's books

I had it all planned out there was gonna be a 10 book series...

[Sylvia] You never know you might be doing that later in life.

[laughs]

[Vanessa] Yeah maybe...

For me, what's really exciting about what we do as astronomers

is being paid to be curious about the world and explore data.

I really like data and playing with it

and seeing what it can tell you

so I'd probably be in something similarly kind of technical and technological

that involved trying to see what the world around us is telling us

the kind of data, but I wanted to be a paleontologist...

I wanted to be a....what else...

an actor for about half a year

[Sylvia] Awesome

[both laughing]

[Vanessa] Then I realised I couldn't act, so that was a bad idea

[Sylvia] It's actually quite a hard thing to do - acting

[Vanessa] Yeah, it is

[Sylvia] in front of a camera particularly

[Vanessa] and Japanese... one of my other majors was Japanese

so for a long time I used to tell people that I would be a physicist in Japan

because that was the logical extension of what my undergrad had been

but you know, you never know...

[Sylvia] You never know, you might actually go there after all

and polish up your Japanese a little bit.

There's also been quite a lot of questions about space travel.

[Vanessa] OK

[Sylvia] One of the questions asked by again Gabriel and Sarah

but also Callum Wood, as well,

first of all... if you had a chance, would you travel into Space?

[Vanessa] Yes, so I think it'd be really cool.

I think at the moment it's very difficult

to be an astronaut because it's so competitive

and it's really not a part of our lives yet

I'd like to see it become that.

[Sylvia] That will actually link to Callum's...

Callum said, do you see Australia either joining the European Space Agency

or working on our own Space program in the future?

So that was sort of linked as well.

[Vanessa] Obviously we don't have much of a Space industry at the moment

but we do have a lot of people working to make that happen.

We have people doing cube satellites and also just promoting the Space industry...

hot air balloon telescopes and things like.

So there is a lot of potential for Australia to grow in this area.

I went to a talk recently which was really cool, it was like

opal treasure hunting combined with Space

and what it was... it was a geologist who was studying opals

and the geology of where opals are

why are they so common in Australia?

He's based here at the University of Sydney

and what he found was actually that it was to do with the conditions

so we had this big lake that came into Australia

we had geological conditions that match that

but what he likened it to was Mars.

So actually Mars has similar geological conditions to Australia

so in some ways, the centre of the Australian desert

is very similar to Mars terrain.

So that's kind of cool, we should utilise that...

but if I could Space travel, like I said at the start of my talk,

I would go to Saturn's moon, probably Mimas,

which is one of the closest in ones

because I think it would be so cool to be able to stand there

and just see Saturn, right, in the sky

that would just be crazy

and if I could do that in a reasonable time frame and then come back to Earth

[Sylvia laughing off screen]

that would also be convenient.

[Sylvia off screen] So Mars 1 is not an option for you at all, is it...

just colonising somewhere?

[Sylvia laughing]

[Vanessa] I kind of don't like the colour red enough...

I like oxygen a lot too.

[Sylvia laughing] Oh right...

[Vanessa] There are lots of people that are really excited

about the prospects of going to Mars

so I think that'll be exciting

hopefully it will happen in the next 20 to 30 years.

[Sylvia] Yeah, it's getting closer my understanding is.

OK this one question from Steven

being an astrophysicist, do you think you'll ever head into outer Space

to conduct more in-depth research?

Right...yeah so that is a possibility

so in terms of... if people are thinking about pathways to becoming an astronaut

you can... obviously there's been the military pathway

which has been the majority for a long time

so having the training in the Air Force or the Navy

mostly Air Force, isn't it?

[Sylvia] It's Air Force, yeah

[Vanessa] If you have that background

but also they do need scientists up there

they need people to...for example on the ISS

they send scientists up there to conduct the research experiments.

So I think, yes, there is a lot of potential

if you're interested in being an astronaut

then having the physics or engineering background will really help

because you can also... as well as having that

you can frame it... you can do extra things that make you more...

what's the word... not competitive...

more applicable... more suited to be an astronaut.

So you can kind of build that around

but even then it is really competitive

although that could change hopefully in the next 20 years as we have more...

[Sylvia off screen] Space programs are just coming up from different countries now...

[Vanessa] and companies as well

[Sylvia off screen] Exactly, privatised companies

so it's not just NASA anymore, it's everyone else as well

we can only hope, right?

[Vanessa] Yeah, it'd be cool.

[Sylvia] It's very exciting times actually that we live in.

Going back to that question again about

what's the most exciting thing that you've learnt

or that you've encounter as an astrophysicist?

There were two people who asked that question.

[Vanessa] That's so hard. Oh my god!

[Sylvia] Sophie and...

[Vanessa] What's the most exciting thing...oh my gosh...

there's so many fun and exciting things

[Sylvia] and Millee asked the question.

Just one thing that you can think of, out of the blue... just your head [clicks fingers, claps hands]

[Vanessa] OK obviously one thing that is very cool

is the fairly recent discovery of gravitational waves

[Sylvia] Yes

[Vanessa] and the reason that's so cool

is because it took 100 years for our technology to catch up

to the level, where a predication made could be verified

and obviously science sometimes happens serendipitously

we explore the world around us

and we find out cool things, like penicillin, along the way

but sometimes, you know, there are really clever people

who can take this physical model and say look, I predict this will happen

and Einstein was one of those people and he was able to say

look, gravitational wave should exist

it's very hard to detect them but one day people might

and I think maybe he kind of gave up on it

I'm not sure if he ever thought it was going to be technically feasible.

[Sylvia off screen] Yeah, that's true

[Vanessa] So I think the fact that they were able to do

this super hard experiment

and actually prove that two black holes had smashed together so far away

that is very exciting and very cool.

[Sylvia] Yeah it is probably the most important discovery made this year if not the century

[Vanessa] Oh yeah, it's huge

[both laughing]

[Sylvia] Noble Prize most likely...

We got one last question and I chose it as a very fitting one by Mary

what is one thing that you would like to say to young people

who love science but aren't confident enough to study physics in the future?

[Vanessa] OK, so I'll look at the camera

because you guys have asked that question.

If you love science and you want to do physics, then do it.

Don't let anyone who says you can't do it

or any results that you have

that make you think you can't do it, stop you.

If you really want something then just keep going.

A lot of it is practice, like I said,

it's learning how to fail and be OK with that

and take that failure and learn for the next time.

So if you really do love science then go for it

and whatever your passion is, whatever your curiosity

just follow that and I think you'll be pretty cool outcome.

[Sylvia off screen] Right, thank you so much for your talk.

[Vanessa] Thank you guys for tuning in.

[Sylvia] Thank you!

For more infomation >> Why Study Physics? - Duration: 40:13.

-------------------------------------------

Excavator Final Drive Motor - How To Check Planetary Gear Oil Level - Duration: 2:37.

For more infomation >> Excavator Final Drive Motor - How To Check Planetary Gear Oil Level - Duration: 2:37.

-------------------------------------------

Practical Paragliding Takeoff For Beginners (Tips & Tricks Launching Windy Takeoffs Low-Airtimers) - Duration: 4:44.

Practical Paragliding Tutorial for Takeoff Launching. Tips and Tricks are shared for Windy takeoffs for Low Air Timers

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét