Thứ Hai, 31 tháng 7, 2017

Waching daily Jul 31 2017

In the new Emoji movie, it's no coincidence that the main character's name is Gene.

Language is evolving.

Emojis are the new ancient runes, and by runes I really mean hieroglyphs.

Hieroglyph is a Greek word that means: sacred writing.

The way we hold our phones is how we used to hold sacred objects.

It's how we would pray, or reach out our palms for life-giving food and water.

But today our sacred writings aren't on the walls, to behold.

Our sacred writings are our in our hands…to be held.

This is a worship pose.

Our hands come together around the phone, similar to prayer hands, but they're also

open, receptive to what the phone gives us: we send out messages into the ether, and then

we wait, hoping for replies, news, and notifications.

Our palms are open to technological alms.

Tones and ringtones, alerts and banners.

Is it the internet of things or the Internet of tings?

What hasn't chimed in?

Which brings us back to emojis.

Like hieroglyphs, Emojis help us tell stories.

Emojis help us bring play and creativity back into our communications.

Each emoji has a particular meaning, a "right" way of using it, and digital language snobs

will tell you you're using emojis wrong.

It's the same way I used Runes in the title because it sounded better than hieroglyph,

which sounded better than ideogram, and like any ambiguous-looking emoji, used in the right

context, you probably knew what I meant.

That's the state of our language.

We use words when they sound good.

Or rather, we use good words in wrongs ways because they sound right.

Which means it's no coincidence that over time the word ironic has come to mean coincidence.

It's how language works: meaning emerges with popular usage.

We do the same thing with emojis.

Each emoji morphs with context.

Emojis are the rise of an old concept in a new form: many ancient languages used graphic

symbols to capture a concept or idea, and that is what emojis do.

Because Emojis go beyond English, beyond Japanese.

Emojis don't speak Russian.

They don't speak Chinese.

Emojis speak human, and their meanings evolve with each person and culture.

It's like emojis speak body language, but more than bodies, emojis speak our minds.

Emojis represent how we see the world, which is different from how the ancients saw their

world, and that is why emojis look like this, and hieroglyphs looked like that:

With emojis, we're all going back to kindergarten.

We can turn ideas into pictures.

Each text is show and tell.

And this could be a good thing.

Together, we're learning to communicate again.

We're expanding our understanding of language, so that we can use language to better understand

ourselves.

Emojis, like good punctuation, help us get the point across.

The way we choose to get the point across represents our personality.

With emojis, we're expressing our feelings and sharpening our creativity.

We're turning ideas and emotions into pictures, because words aren't good enough.

With words, can you say what you mean?

Deep down?

Is there language for that?

We don't always have the words, but soon, we might have a new written language.

Emoji English.

Emoji Chinese.

I say this in jest because emojis themselves will evolve, or they'll be replaced by another

idiographic language that better captures how we see the world, but either way, we're

merging our modern words with the proto-writing style of the ancients.

As much as I used to cringe, and...often still do, one day, all but our most formal communication might look

like this.

As I said in the beginning, it's no coincidence

that the main character's name is Gene: Emojis are about expression, and it's pretty

obvious that as the movie unravels, Gene will learn to express himself in new ways.

Love it or hate it, we're all like Gene: one emoji, many smilies.

So what's happening to English?

By adopting these emojis, by using emoticons, are we taking a step back?

Are these runes ruining our language?

Or are we returning to something fundamental?

Are we learning to speak a language that words alone lack?

Because Language is doing what it's always done:

Evolving.

And that's the point.

Love it or hate it, language evolves.

If it didn't, we'd still be speaking old English.

Not even.

We'd still be speaking caveman.

The firsts sounds that popped out of their mouths, those would be our words.

But language, like life, evolves.

Just as today we don't spake

Shakespeare's English, our descendants won't speak our English.

And while the emoji movie might be a bad idea, or a dark horse success, or a big hit,

it follows the rules of evolution.

If unfit to survive, the movie will die on arrival, but emojis, the bigger idea, will

continue to thrive.

You are as large as your ability to express yourself.

Your face

contains multitudes.

This is my first video essay, so the style itself will evolve, as well as the quality

will improve.

You know, I'm embarrassed about how long it took me to make this video.

Well, I chalk it up to practice.

If you haven't subscribed, subscribe here, because this channel will evolve, you will

help grow this channel, you will help new ideas emerge as this channel grows.

I'm looking forward to that.

Thank you everyone who has already subscribed.

It's been a process.

I'm working on that consistency factor.

I'm working on, the, on all of it.

Thank you again.

Live whys and profit!

For more infomation >> Language Keeps 🙉⏩🤦🏻‍♂️: Why Emojis Became the New Ancient Runes - Duration: 6:53.

-------------------------------------------

Assassins - Dreamer - Duration: 4:11.

Outside My Head

I cast a Shadow

Im not Someone

Whose seen this Side

Of Me

But it

Drifts Across the Ground

So Down

I Look

I could Spend my Time

Wondering

Who I Was

I could Count

The Times

That I have

Lost or Won

I could Turn

Towards You

Ask You

What you Saw

Oh but

What Do

These Feelings Mean?

Come Meet Me

On this Path

Of Wonder

Take my Hand

I'd like to Share with You

What can we Learn

When we can't

Understand?

We could Spend

Our Time

Wondering

What could Be

We could

Ask of God

To show Us

Where We

Stand

You could

Follow Me

Back to

Where We Met

Oh but

What have You

Been Dreaming Of?

Im going to Live

Im Living

Far Away

Im going to Die

Im Dying

For a Way

Out

Im Dying

For a Way

Out

Im Dying for a Way

Out

For more infomation >> Assassins - Dreamer - Duration: 4:11.

-------------------------------------------

AXR the Alchemist Welcome Video - Duration: 2:36.

And it seems I got this angel on my should saying

We're gonna make it!

Sing! We're gonna make it!

Sing! We're gonna make it!

And I got this angel on my shoulder saying

We're gonna make it!

Sing! We're gonna make it!

Sing! We're gonna make it!

Hey, guys! I'm André, AXR the Alchemist.

I create, play music, I'm the proud owner of a dog named Bear,

and we're on this journey that's a lot of fun and I invite you to come join us!

Our music stretches across a lot of genres.

From Calvin Harris and Timbaland vibes

to Will.I.Am to some reggae and some Latin,

but, really it's to create a feeling and to tell a story.

'Cause I can't stop won't stop!!

Hey, guys! Thank you so much for watching!

We invite you to subscribe and join our journey today!

We have a lot more to share with you.

Peace!

For more infomation >> AXR the Alchemist Welcome Video - Duration: 2:36.

-------------------------------------------

RH Rebel Storage - New Parking Spaces - Duration: 0:46.

What have we here? This is Caleb from RH Rebel Storage.

At the 1618 location on Hwy 281

That is some flat dirt!

12'x30' parking spaces for $27.50 a month!

Perfect spaces for your RV or Trailer at less than $1 a day.

Spaces are going fast, go to RHRebelStorage.com today.

For more infomation >> RH Rebel Storage - New Parking Spaces - Duration: 0:46.

-------------------------------------------

What's With Trigger Warnings? - Adventures in Misandry Ep22 - Duration: 11:19.

Troll: Aw, you bleepity bleepity bleep bleeps are so oversensitive. Real life doesn't come with trigger warning, ya fools!

SJW: Gross, go away.

Troll: Oh my god TRIGGERED lol

SJW: Stop being such a bigoted arsehole.

Troll: (gasps) Oh my god! How dare you call me a bigot?! Just because I disagreed with you, you're so rude!

Troll: It's called debate! How dare you throw those slurs at me?! Don't you know how to be civil? Oh my god, you people are so rude!

(opening music)

Good morning, lovelies, and welcome to another episode of Adventures in Misandry!

I am Cambrey Payne, your friendly neighborhood misandrist witch, here

wishing you a terrific Tuesday. Now I know I promised I was going to talk

about why I don't argue with people, but I changed my mind. Because I can. I

realised that to make a video like that would just be engaging with arseholes, and

I make a policy of not doing that, partly because it's pointless, and partly

because the pettiness in my brain just sort of sits there imagining them getting so

upset when their opinion has absolutely no effect, because honestly, the best way

to react to trolls being arseholes - hey that rhymes - is you just keep making

content that annoys them. Now I am going to take this moment to offer a little

bit of advice. I know that sounds weird, given I have such a small channel, but offer a

little bit of advice to people who are thinking of making feminist content, or

have started making feminist content on any platform. Pick your battles. There

will be people, and I've come across them, who genuinely come to you, genuinely

engage with your content, they will not always agree with you, you will maybe not

change their mind, but they will be respectful, they will be asking

intelligent questions, relevant questions, and genuinely engaging with you in a

positive way. There will be more people who just come there to make you feel

like shit, and that is genuinely what they want to do. They just will come

there to insult you, to be rude, and the best thing you can do is just delete it.

Get it out of your inbox, don't engage, don't even read it, like it, it's

pointless. Now I think the reason I wanted to make the video that I was

planning to make was because I still have, and I know a lot of us do deep down

inside, this weird unconscious belief that somehow, if we

come up with the right mix of words, the right argument, we will be able to change

people's minds. That's not reality. When you have someone who is deliberately

seeking out your content in order to shit on it, they don't want to have their

mind changed. They are not interested. You only have to look at some of the

comments that you're getting to know that they have watched through a whole

video, where you literally explain point by point why their argument that

they're making in this comment is wrong, and they still make it, completely

ignoring everything you just said, they don't engage with you, they just yell

their opinion, because they don't want to hear you. So that is my advice. Pick your

battles and don't engage, because it's pointless and it drains your energy. If

you can't deal with being constantly insulted or whatever, I would recommend

you don't make feminist content, because this is the reality. The people who want to

shit on you will put more effort into finding you and doing that and engaging

with you then the people who like you, and this is a very sad reality, but it's

the one we live in. So anyway, now I've made half a video about the video I'm

not making, whatever, moving on! Today I'm going to make a video that is

precisely the kind of content that pisses off my friendly neighborhood

trolls, I'm going to talk about trigger warnings, and I want to talk about them

in a kind of educational way, not in a ranty way, because I think the problem

that a lot of people have with the concept of trigger warnings is a

complete misunderstanding of why we ask for them and who is actually

needing them. So the first part of that is who needs them - I know I said that the

other way around - but this is the most important thing, is

who needs them. People with trauma related illnesses are the ones who need

trigger warnings. Now there are a range of types of trauma, there are a range of

illnesses that come with triggers, that includes PTSD, anxiety, depression, eating

disorders, and a range of other stuff. These are diagnosable illnesses. They're

recognised in the DSM-V. If you really actually want to understand them, I

recommend the DSM-V as a good place to start, then go talk to a therapist, go

talk to a psychologist, a counsellor, someone who works with people who have

trauma related illnesses, and they can tell you that triggers are not about

feeling uncomfortable. A trigger is a smell, a memory, a sound, something that

triggers a serious, severe psychological response. Now this can be anything from a

panic attack, which are really unpleasant but survivable, right up to

suicide, like triggers can kill people. More often than not, it'll be somewhere

in between. It can start with a panic attack and you can move through that

panic attack into several weeks of a depressive episodes, of relapses into

eating disorders, or anxiety spirals, or OCD, or any other symptoms that accompany

your thing. You could experience a agoraphobia, because that often comes

with PTSD, and things that really make it difficult for you to focus on your life.

So a trigger has a serious effect. Now this is the first misconception that

people have, is that triggers are just an uncomfortable thing, and that is a

ridiculous idea. If you have a trauma related mental illness, the chances are

you feel uncomfortable 100% of the time. We have all sorts of other shit going on

unrelated to triggers all the time, we have other conditions that mix in

together with it. For example, ignoring my triggers, I

experience hallucinations, both auditory and visual, they are not fun. It took me

some time to be able to differentiate between reality and hallucinations, and

mine aren't even that bad. And anxiety, OCD,

flashbacks, um, mood swings, you know all of these things. And I'm properly medicated

and receiving very quality therapy, so if you're not someone who has access to

those things, it's going to be so much worse. So we feel uncomfortable 100% of

the time. Now a trigger is something that is way beyond discomfort. We're not

trying to avoid discomfort, we're trying to avoid meltdowns, we're trying to avoid

becoming seriously, unfunctionally ill, and that is where people make their

mistake. Now I will admit there is a culture among a certain group of people

that does seem to be invested in never feeling pain or discomfort, and quite

often, and I'm going to be honest here, and it's a bit of an unpopular opinion, a

bit of a dangerous one for the mentally ill community, but I think it's important

to admit to it. There are people who claim, who claim the need for trigger

warnings just because they don't like stuff, and that's a re... that really gets

my goat, because these are people who aren't experiencing the illnesses that

genuinely need this, and because of this very small but very publicised minority

of arseholes, now the rest of us are suffering, because this is now the public

perception. Any psychologist will tell you that the majority of people asking

for trigger warnings genuinely need them. This group of people is very small, the

ones that who, the ones that just don't want to feel uncomfortable ever. That's,

that's a topic for another day, that goes into entitlement culture and

everything, so I don't really want to get too much into it right now. So the next

step of this is "life doesn't come with trigger warnings". Fuck you, arsehole, I know

that! I know that when I get on a bus, when I walk down the street, when I go to

uni, I could be triggered, because a lot of my triggers are everyday things, and I

have to deal with that. There's nothing I can do about it. But what I can do, what I

think is reasonable to expect, is that in particular places, where it is

possible, people provide trigger warnings, especially if that space is designed for

mentally ill people, where we're trying to be safe and be ourselves, because that

is a space where we should expect that kind of thing. And spaces like

universities and schools that should be able to cater for us. So don't fucking

tell me that life doesn't come with trigger warnings. I know. I deal with that

every fucking day. I said this wasn't going to get into a rant, but here I

am. But when we're asking for trigger warnings, these are in places where it's

reasonable. I mean, obviously sometimes it doesn't seem like it, but online spaces,

it takes two seconds to add a little warning. Obviously you can't warn for

everything, but some of the stuff you can, and if you want to be inclusive of

people with mental illnesses, if you want to be a decent fucking person, take the

ten seconds, add a trigger warning, violence, sexual abuse, whatever, the main

things, add them. Make sure your friends are safe, make sure the people you care

about are safe. So. Whew! I think that's all I'm going to talk

about there for now, and just remember that PTSD is a valid thing. Next week I'm

going to be talking about kinks, and if people who have particular kinks should

be part of the LGBT+ community. So that'll be an interesting change of

pace for me, talking about sex, oh yeah. Um, until then misandrist witch out!

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét